http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/315628/Park-note-Yarra-Ranges-NP-OShannassy-Aqueduct-Trail.pdf
I took a week off to cycle, and had an idea of doing a really hard ride one day, an easy the next to recover. This one was supposedly the easy one……..
The real steep sections weren’t bad, but as soon as the road flattened out it became a mud heap. My easy ride wasn’t so easy, as it rained, it was cold, I got covered from head to toe in mud, and every single pedal stroke was a grind. I honestly wanted to pull the pin, and turn around and head back. The only thing stopping me was the fact that I would have had to ride further in the mud coming back, turned me off the idea.
From Mount Donna Buang Road, I started to descend, and hoped that my pain would be over. I was horrified to find that the downhill sections had more
mud, and I had to work just as hard downhill. This was turning out to be one of those days
I wish I stayed indoors.
I got to
the O’Sannassy Weir, and under different circumstances I would have been
stoked. It was awesome to finish a ride
at a waterfall. I was completely spent
after a sad 30km’s of riding, had no hope of riding back down the trail as
I originally planned, and didn’t know how I’d be able to get back with how I
was feeling. Instead I came up with a
plan to ride out to the main road, and head back into Warburton and then return
via the Lilydale Warburton trail, but knew this could add an extra 20km’s of
riding which sucked, but was easier than returning the way I came.
It rained a
fair bit of the ride back. I stopped in
at the Warburton Bakery (love that place), and got the WTF looks as I was
covered in mud. I was relieved to get
onto the Lilydale Warburton trail as its completely flat, and I was that tired
that I was able to cruise at a snails pace.
From Woori Yallock, I had a short climb to get back to the car which was
hell.
Yes this is
one of my least favorite rides I’ve ever done, which is such a shame as it is
an incredible trail. If I ever returned
I would probably realize this, but given the hell I went through I haven’t
wanted to return. I didn't have much in the way of wet weather kit back then either, which made the ride worse. I had high hopes to ride a lot that week, and instead I
really exhausted myself on this ride, and didn’t end up doing that much riding. Them’s the
breaks I guess.
Here is a
link to my Strava Activity here:https://www.strava.com/activities/53163339


No comments:
Post a Comment