Thursday, 22 January 2015

Lilydale Warburton Trail



The Lilydale to Warburton Rail Trail runs a distance of 40km between Lilydale and Warburton and passes through the townships of Mount Evelyn, Wandin, Seville, Woori Yallock, Launching Place, Yarra Junction, Wesburn and Millgrove.  With a backdrop of mountains including the Yarra Ranges National Park this trail passes through a scenic landscape following the Yarra River Valley.  There are quite a few road crossings throughout the trail, and you need caution, though thankfully the majority of intersections have minimal traffic.


I have had the pleasure of riding this trail several times, and really enjoy riding it as the trails are pretty wide, and easy to overtake others, and it’s one of those rare rides that you can really appreciate the scenery.  Occasionally there will be large group of walkers on the trail which can be tricky to get around, but apart from them it is an easy ride.
https://www.strava.com/segments/6130114

I always use an ride around the area as an excuse to visit the Warburton Bakery J


I have one lasting memory of the trail.  One rider I took there probably spent too much time playing Playstation leading up to the ride, rather than getting himself into shape for an 60km round trip.  He had been slowing down quite a bit on the return trip, but after he passed Woori Yallock stopped and said he couldn’t ride anymore.  When pushed admitted that he had sore testicles.  I had to meet up with my father later that afternoon and was on a deadline, and not wishing to call him a soft cock was left in an awkward situation.


We had to ride back to the car, and then drive 14km’s back to get him, and I ended up being late for dad.  We thought that he’d be anxious waiting so long for us, but no.  He had a Nana nap at the Woori Yallock station.


The Lilydale Warburton Trail is a surprisingly good trail to ride the Road bike on, and I know a lot of Roadies don’t like bike tracks, but if you haven’t ridden this trail, would highly recommend to-do so.  As a bonus, you could always make a trip up Mount Donna Buang, after you visit the Warburton Bakery of course J

 

No comments:

Post a Comment