Lorne is a seaside town on Louttit Bay in Victoria, situated 141 km's south west of Melbourne, and is a popular destination on the Great Ocean Road. Lorne boasts stunning views, great restaurants, a beautiful beach, and for cyclists it has some of the steepest backstreets that Victoria has to offer. I was doing a camping trip with my wife down the Great Ocean Road on the Cumberland River. Whilst my wife was out shopping, I had several hours to experience Lorne on a bike.
I was recommended to take a look at Frances Street, and went and took a look at it in my car. I was blown away with how steep it was. I tried driving my Corolla up it, and just got wheel spin, & had to reverse back down it. It was mega steep just to drive the 100 metres to the base, and then there’s a sharp right turn and then the road just goes skywards. If I couldn’t drive up there, what hope had I of riding it? I was blown away, and thought seriously…….
I honestly didn’t think I could get up it, but had to give it a go. The start of the climb averages 27% and I was out of breath just at the base of the main climb. There was a bit of gravel into the corner, and it was hard to find a line and avoid the gravel. I didn’t get the corner right, and jumped off the bike to avoid falling off. All I could do was look up, and wonder how…….
The Strava segment I posted above shows that 14 riders have gotten up it, though as most are under 3kmph I suspect that most of them walked.
https://www.strava.com/segments/3321949
40 riders have had a crack at it, and only a couple seem to have been able to ride up it in one piece, which shows how extreme this climb is. This climb gave me nightmares, and it’s the only hill I haven’t been able to get up. It is on my bucket list to return one day, and knock it off. I’d certainly make sure I go & clear off the gravel first. Scary to say that there’s an extra 400 metres of climbing that I could add to the segment if I start from Armytage Street:
https://www.strava.com/segments/1675057
I wish I found this post a week ago. Decided to have a go at Francis St on the way down to Kennett River. Got through the kink but as I straightened for the last bit got the wobbles and headed into some gravel and hit the deck. Had another crack and got bit further but had to step off. I'll be back
ReplyDeleteGreat blog by the way
Dave, I think I'll bring a broom with me next time I try. Great effort giving it a go. It is one scary piece of road!
ReplyDelete