There was a 20-30km Southerly, but when I showed up it was blowing a gale, & the wind was icy cold. I knew this would help me on the first part of the climb up to the turn-off for Mount Warrenheip, but worried that on the climb may cop strong head winds. I set-out into a very solid wall of wind. My legs were not warmed up, and I felt as if I were pushing into an invisible hand. I was climbing a false flat with solid 50+km winds throwing me around, and within 1km of riding I was in the pain cave, and it was horrid conditions to ride. I could see the start of the climb, and sadly had to take a rest before I could have a go. Not ideal for what I planned.
I set off, and didn’t feel great, but was able to push out a
time which was on pace to beat the KOM with that tail wind. I turned off onto Mount Warrenheip Road, and
the pain begun. Mount Warrenheip Road
curls its way around the hill to the top of the Mount Warrenheip Flaura Reserve,
through dense bushland and some great views over to the left hand side of the
road. Essentially the road is a goat
track. Wide enough for a car, with a
surface which is in pretty shocking condition.
It can be challenging to get into a rhythm as you dodge and weave around
cracks in the road and potholes.
I gave it as much gas as I could, but wasn’t able to crank
out enough Watts. I fell short by 51
seconds, finishing 6th spot on 7:37, averaging 17.8kmph. The weather
wasn’t ideal, and I was pretty disappointed, and really didn’t feel good, and
well lost my lunch at the top, so I knew I wasn’t holding back on the climb. Not to waste a good trip, I got back on the
bike and continued my loop out to Ballarat.
I had a solid tail wind behind me, and pushed hard for PB’s all the way
down to White Swan Road, which is a 1.4km climb @ 5% which is really
enjoyable. There’s a lot of State Forest
to the South of Ballarat, and some incredible riding through the area, with a
lot of challenging rolling hills.
I worked my way back to Ballarat and headed for a lap around
Lake Wendouree, which is one of my favourite flat rides that I’ve ever
done. I found an incredible Hamburger
joint near there & enjoyed a really yummy lunch. I only had about 14km’s to ride to get back
to the car, and boy were they memorable.
I was heading back out with a strong head wind, and it was a grind
getting back to the car. It was only a
short 50km ride, but it is a great little loop, that offered a lot of
challenges with the wind.
Here is a link to my Strava Activity here:
https://www.strava.com/activities/219314147
Cycle Atlas put together a piece on Mount Warrenheip &
here is the link:
http://www.cycleatlas.com/home/kryal-castle-ballarat-australia-76km-red
No comments:
Post a Comment