I said to myself that it was a once off, and that I shouldn’t
worry about it and get back on the bike. My next trip I punctured and had to
walk the bike 6km’s. Sadly I gave up cycling, and didn’t take it up for another
12 years…….
Thursday, 26 March 2015
My first accident
In 1998 I bought my first bike. I was at the Camberwell market and
bought a second hand Shogun Katana. I fell in love with it and rode almost 700
km’s on her. Sadly when I was riding to work on Springvale Road (Glen
Waverley), and was approaching the intersection at Kingsway and did the usual
head check to see if anyone was indicating behind me. No one was so I went to
ride through the intersection. Just as I hit the corner a Ute turned left
without indicating. I was about to slam into the side of his car, and veered
sharp to the left, and was going to crash. I let go of my handlebars, &
grabbed onto the side of the Ute, and was dragged along parallel with the Ute
for about 25 metres before I let go of the Ute & went sideways into the nature
strip and landed on the grass. My bike was ok, and I only had tiny scratches on
me. The guy never stopped. Two young girls in a P plater car pulled over and
ran out to see if I was ok, and I wondered if it looked pretty bad. I said that
I was ok, and continued my ride to work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I’m sorry to hear about your dilemma with the idea of riding the bike again. I can only imagine the stress and trauma you’ve encountered during the accident back then. I hope things are doing better for you know, and the toll of the accident has somehow diminished. Take care!
ReplyDeleteModesto Culbertson @ D & Z Law Group