Saturday, 4 April 2015

Police Academy Hill (Wheelers Hill) climb review


Distance: 300 metres
Average Gradient: 12%
Elevation gain: 47 metres
Traffic: Heavy at peak times
Terrain: Residential
Road Surface:Good 


This climb is short & brutal and peaks at 18%, and takes you up to the Victorian Police Academy.   


 The climb starts at the intersection of Lum Road & Waverley Road (Wheelers Hill)

You can see the Police Academy at the top left corner of the photo
The road is pretty wide & there is plenty of space to ride comfortably


The climb is brutal & you'll wish you had more gears


The climb ends at the roundabout on the intersection of Waverley Road & Gallaghers Road 
(please be aware that there can be a lot of traffic crossing this roundabout at most times of the day)

Views from the top



View from Yvonne Court

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the write-up Brendan. This one is close to home for me. The strava segment called "Horrible Hill" gives it away. The church on the left hand side always looks impressive. I used it as "training" for Baw Baw as I wanted something steep. Sure got what I was looking for!

    You can tackle the roundabout from all 4 directions for added variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Police academy crucifix? Sounds good!

      Personally I think the climb starts from jells rd but then it's only a mere 6% ave. gradient :p
      https://www.strava.com/segments/714007

      Delete
    2. I like the sound of the Police Academy Crucifix. Kangri I set-up a slightly more extended segment:
      https://app.strava.com/segments/8411470
      Scary to think the Police Academy Hill has been Everested

      Delete