I love cycling, and especially love to climb. I came into cycling after rupturing my Achilles tendon back in 2009. I was on crutches for 9 months following surgery, and limped heavily for another 7 months, and struggled to do anything. At the start of 2011 one of my co-workers suggested I go in the Around the Bay in a Day. I wasn't sure if I could do the distance, and pulled my old bike out & rode 2km's ride around the block and came home completely out of breath, and exhausted. I became hooked.
Shortly after I bought myself a $500 Mongoose bike from Goldcross bikes in Fountain Gate, and the adventures began. The first 6 months was very difficult working through rehab, and fighting off injuries, and thankfully I persevered, and four years later have ridden over 45,000km's. I've been lucky to have had the chance to ride around much of Victoria, and have climbed most of the hardest climbs Victoria has too offer. I've also been fortunate to be able to meet a lot of new riders, and feel blessed to have been able to introduce so many riders to new climbs.
I was inspired to write this blog mainly due to the work Matt de Neef has done with his Climbing Cyclist Website which has helped to inspire me with my climbing, and would write weekly adventures, which when I was starting out riding, helped me work out where the best places to ride. I hope to write a mix of old adventures as well as new. I also wish to make a special note for Hells 500, who I earned the right to be a Hells 500 member by Everesting Perrins Creek Road on March 7th 2014.
I won't be riding forever. My wife & I are planning to have a baby, and the plan over the past three years has been for me to ride as much as I can, and then when the family comes along for me to devote my time towards a family life, and a casual commute to and from work if I'm lucky.
As they say a ride of a thousand miles always begins with a single pedal stroke......
No comments:
Post a Comment